Monday, September 29, 2014

Greater Than Gold

We were in the book of Numbers last night. Israel’s enemies hire Balaam to curse the covenant people. The pagan diviner shows a surprising dedication to the Word of God (greater than many who today claim to be among the faithful):
  • “Though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not do anything, either small or great, contrary to the command of the LORD my God” (22:18).
  • “Behold, I have come now to you! Am I able to speak anything at all? The word that God puts in my mouth, that I shall speak” (22:38).
  • “Must I not be careful to speak what the LORD puts in my mouth?” (23:12).
  • “Did I not tell you, ‘Whatever the LORD speaks, that I must do’?” (23:26).
  • “Though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not do anything contrary to the command of the LORD, either good or bad, of my own accord. What the LORD speaks, that I will speak” (24:13).

He had been given something greater than gold (23:5).

“The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.
They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
Moreover, by them Your servant is warned;
In keeping them there is great reward” (Psalm 19:7-11).


God give us the grace you gave the magus from the east (Numbers 23:7), not just for a moment, but now into eternity. Give us an unending knowledge of “the sacred writings which are able to give [us] the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus” (2 Timothy 3:15). Greater than gold, sweeter than honey...

No comments: